There are so many blogs and online journals, and with social media- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like- that it begs the question: why should you read this particular one?
What makes me special? What am I all about? What is this particular plot of real estate in cyberspace focused on?
The answer to these questions is pretty straightforward: Living well.
Being better than yesterday.
Health. Strength. Desire.
The need to improve.
To sharpen the focus, indulge me in some background, if you will.
I am 31 years old. To me, that sounds astonishingly old. I never imagined what 31 would feel like, and I still feel like a man who lives in his youth. I am 31 years old, and, I believe, in the best shape of my life. Considering where I've come from, that astounds me- even now, and I've been at this living thing for a little bit now. (By the way, if you're older than me and reading this, congratulations. It's a lot harder than it looked growing up!)
Why should you care that I'm in the best shape of my life? Because I wasn't always where I am at today. Indeed, it wasn't too long ago that I was overweight, unenergetic, lethargic (yes, redundant, I know) and just in a sad state of affairs. I had always been under the delusion that I was somehow exempt from the laws of nature; that is, if you eat more than your body burns, than the excess becomes fat deposits. And these deposits do some really bad things to your body if not eliminated. In 2009, I had amassed 230 pounds onto a 5'11" frame. I can't even claim that I was just really muscular. Indeed, I was just a sad sack of lethargic lipids.
Then I changed the course of my life. I exercised. Slowly, badly at first. But I took steps in the right direction. Those steps became bigger, stronger, more pronounced. And now, nearly 60 pounds lighter, and more athletic than I have ever been, I choose to share what I can, from what I have learned over the course of years of trying to be better than I was yesterday. Consider yourselves lucky. Indeed, if this helps anyone with their own health issues be better, than I say "Mission accomplished." But also, I think the point of this particular collection of words will be to remind me of where I have been, where I am, and where I can go.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment